Sunday 26 September 2010

Children and Bible Memorising

Hey Parents!

Every evening, in Family Worship time, in our home, I have scheduled for my daughter, Rachel, to recite a Bible verse(s) that she has memorised quite a while back. This way, it keeps the Scripture fresh in her mind, and as we discuss it's meaning, it becomes more real and relevant to her.



Memorising the Bible can be fun for our young people in various ways. However, one method that I have found to work wonders with Rachel, is giving her incentives, rewards for being able to recite the passages fluently each evening. As I began brainstorming aloud on what to do with her, Rachel added to my idea. We decided for this week, that if Rachel got the Scriptures right, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday in worship, then for each day she will earn ten minutes extra to add onto Family Time on Thursday. I know that Family Time, is Rachel's favourite part of the day, so if she could get an extra forty minutes with mother, just playing around, or whatever she wants to do with me, then she would anticipate it. I then added that if she could correctly recite the verses also on Thursday, Friday and Sabbath night, then on Monday, next week, we can knock out all the schoolwork in the morning, and have the afternoon to ourselves to do something special!



This way, Rachel will make sure that the Scripture she picks for worship, she will go through it in the course of the day. Thus Rachel's mind will become disciplined through habit to think on God's Word often throughout the day, because she has that extra incentive that she is going to earn minutes with mother if she gets it right in worship. Not only that, but it builds up good memories in the child's mind, in regards to the Word of God; that it is a good thing, and you will be happy when God's Word is hidden in your heart, and you meditate on it day and night.



We want our children's hearts, don't we? Well, let's begin by taking the time to create ways to cultivating the garden of their hearts.



God Bless you, and I hope this has given you something to work with.

2 comments:

  1. Amen wonderful tool, I plan to implement with my three...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do this minus the incentives. Thanks for reminding me that I still need to make it fun, especially when it comes to the Word of God! I want them to love learning God's word!

    ReplyDelete